I am pulling my hair out. Please help

My app have 1 view, on chekbox it starts gps and on onother check it
stops gps to get current location. I have private listener class to
listen to location changes. onLocationUpdate it updates couple of
static variables.

I am explicitly removing the listener but I am still getting updates
to the static vars. I tried to set the listener to null, system.gc you
name it.

I put a toast to make sure that lm.removeUpdates(locationListener); is
happening and it is getting to that line.

Please help.

Device: Android Dev1 phone on ATT.