I've successfully played shoutcast mp3 streams while the application
is hidden (no activity showing), simply by keeping a static pointer to
the playing thread (http://developer.android.com/guide/appendix/faq/
framework.html#3). After updating to 1.5 it crashes almost instantly
after destroying the activity, and brings AudioTrack to unusable
state. There's been a change in AudioTrack.cpp since 1.1, claiming to
fix the "// FIXME: Wake up audioflinger" line in obtainBuffer(..).
That made me put the play thread into a Service to try if it works,
but it holds a little longer and crashes the same way. In 1.1 it
worked nicely, for hours, under heavy loaded cpu, memory and network.
Can anybody help figuring that out?