> Can someone educate me about the rationale behind Android tasks? I'm
> also curious to know the thought process behind their design when they
> were originally conceived?

I think the problem they solve is that it's hard to have a "multi-
tasking" OS when only one thing can be on the screen at once. So the
idea of tasks is that you can switch quickly between them, and they
preserve your state in the context of that application:

  Maps -> View Business Details
  Contacts -> View Contact -> Edit Contact

Now if am editing a contact and want to do something else like view
business details, I can go back home, press the Maps icon, do
whatever, and then use home to press contacts and arrive back at the
edit contact screen.

I guess there are a few problems with the current implementation
though: it's quite complicated, and there's no real way for users to
learn how it works. The "obvious" mental model is of a linear stack of
activities, but that's not what actually happens so you get things
like pressing back on the home screen does not actually take you back.
And then there is a lack of guidelines around when to use the activity
modes - as you have found. And finally the built-in apps do use the
activity modes inconsistently. For instance my example is wrong
because the contacts app does reset the task stack.

I think this stuff will shake out with time. Better animations can
help users figure out the application model. UI guidelines will help
developers. Hopefully the built-in apps will either become consistent
or at least call out in their manifests why they use certain
attributes so people can learn from them.