I'm also writing an app that needs data to be transferred to and from
the android device from/to my desktop pc. I'm using Google Protocol
Buffers and it seems to be working just fine. Maybe you want to have a
look at it too: http://code.google.com/p/protobuf/

With my project, I included the protobuf lib as an external jar into
my android project and it seems to be deployed on the phone correctly.
However, I just saw a thread going on about that topic (http://
code.google.com/p/protobuf/), but I did not yet have the time to
investigate that any further.