Situation:
 I set my activity to be in landscape mode. In this activity, I move a
box along the x direction, which is along the longer side of the phone
due to being in landscape. When the activity is first started,
everything works great--the x axis in my code corresponds to the
expected x direction in landscape.

Problem:  if in the middle of running it, I go into the dialer app by
pressing the call button, and then going back to my app, the box still
moves in the "x direction" but now perpendicular to the supposed
landscape x direction. I suppose the dialer's portrait mode got passed
onto my activity even though the orientation is set to landscape in
the manifest.

Attempts: I have tried numerous ways to remedy this but to no avail. I
tried re-initialzing all my views, calling setContentView upon
Restart. I also tried to get my orientation by calling
getResources().getConfiguration().orientation. The result indicates
"landscape" although the x axis now is perpendicular to before.

Please help! How do you deal with orientation change????