Anyone used glColor4x much?

I am passing colours into a line draw rtn in the usual format '4
bytes: alpha, red, green, blue.'

my call to to set the colour attempts to modify the RRGGBB parts into
fixed format values.

        int red = (color&0x00FF0000);
        int green = (color&0x0000FF00)<<8;
        int blue = (color&0x000000FF)<<16;

        surface.glColor4x(red, green, blue, 0);

I am getting screwy colours from this. I have searched but there
aren't many examples of this call kicking around and used in this way.
I am obviously doing something dumb. Do I have to format the rgb
values as percentages somehow?

'surface' is defined as GL10 btw.

Al.