Thanks Bill.
Your suggestion worked for me. I had same problem as couple of other
posters. WebView example from android's website was not working
despite having the right permissions and no firewall issue. In fact, I
tried a to do a HTTPGet into a TextView. That worked fine, but WebView
example was giving me grief.

Besides, the correction suggested by you I would also like to point
out that the client classes mentioned in the example @
http://developer.android.com/guide/tutorials/views/hello-webview.html
are inconsistent.

Cheers,