This seems to be working..
android:background="@null" removes the background, but the text color
stays the same. It takes another explicit android:textColor="@null" to
fix that. I guess those are the values that are set in the
editTextStyle, but not in textViewStyle, so they stay the same after
style="?android:attr/textViewStyle" and need to be nulled-out
explicitly. I'm not sure what's really going on here, but this seems
to be a clean solution to this problem.
The documentation should be more explaining, with more complete and
thought-out examples..

Thanks people - a lot!

PS: Don't trust the layout tab in the xml editor too much..