Hi All,

I've had an issue where no matter how I've tried to set it up I'm
finding the BroadcastReceivers aren't receiving any PendingIntents. A
look through LogCat confirms that the intents are launched, but
they're not being executed.

I managed to make a simple(ish) repro case. If you take the
SimpleWiktionary widget by Jeff Sharkey
http://code.google.com/p/wiktionary-android/
and make the following changes plus any required imports.

Replace the Service's onStart with this
<code>
    public static class UpdateService extends Service {
        @Override
        public void onStart(Intent intent, int startId) {
            // Build the widget update for today
            RemoteViews updateViews = buildUpdate(this);

            // Push update for this widget to the home screen
            ComponentName thisWidget = new ComponentName(this,
WordWidget.class);
            AppWidgetManager manager = AppWidgetManager.getInstance
(this);
            manager.updateAppWidget(thisWidget, updateViews);

            Context context = getBaseContext();
                long nextAlarm = System.currentTimeMillis() + 15000;
                Intent alarmIntent = new Intent(context, WordWidget.class);
                PendingIntent pendingIntent = PendingIntent.getActivity(context,
                                0 /* no requestCode */, alarmIntent, 0 /* no
flags */);

                AlarmManager alarmManager = (AlarmManager)
context.getSystemService(android.app.Activity.ALARM_SERVICE);
                alarmManager.set(AlarmManager.RTC_WAKEUP, nextAlarm,
pendingIntent);

        }
</code>

and add an override to onReceive like this
<code>
        @Override
        public void onReceive(Context context, Intent intent) {
                final String action = intent.getAction();
                Log.d("WordWidget", "Action: " + action);

                super.onReceive(context, intent);
        }
</code>

Then add the widget to your desktop and watch LogCat. After 15 seconds
you'll see the intent getting launched, but nothing logged with the
tag WordWidget.

I've got no idea what I've done wrong, anybody having a "well, there's
your problem." moment?

Cheers,

Alan.