I'm writing a widget that needs to update rather infrequently (say
multiple hours). Following the source examples out there, it seems the
common solution is to use a service to prepare the updates. However,
after I am done, my process is still running on "service level", it
looks like it's not being killed by Android in low memory conditions,
and killing it manually causes it to restart.

The same seems to be true for all other widgets I have installed so
far - they stay in memory.

Wouldn't it be better to have to service call this.stop() when it is
done, at least if the widget knows it probably won't need to do
another update any time soon?

I'm doing this now, and it seem to work fine - my process is being
killed when Android needs memory. I'm confused though as to why this
wouldn't be the encouraged behaviour then (it's not like the G1 has an
aweful lot of memory to spare). Should or shouldn't I be doing this?