No, what you are supposed to do, is not return from onCreate until you
are ready to show your GUI. I am not ready without these items. If it
took, say, 2 or 3 seconds to load these items, maybe, but it takes a
fraction of a second - the screen flashes 'LOADING' and then shows the
items. It looks quite ugly. And then there is the losing of scroll
position and focus too.