Since Google groups doesn't let you add posts to threads more than
60 days old, and I want to leave a solution to the problem I
encountered a while back, I'm posting this message with the same title
in hopes that anyone running into the problem I had will find this
message as well.

    I was having trouble getting my G1 to render an RGBA_8888 OpenGL
context to the screen.  Everything was twice the size it should be
because the 8888 pixels were being interpreted as two 565 pixels.  The
colors were obviously wrong as well.

    I had missed a critical function call.  You must configure the
Surface that is being used by EGL using the SurfaceHolder method
setFormat.  The pixel format needs to be TRANSLUCENT, or more
specifically you can use RGBA_8888.