> It's a static reference, ie global to the process. So as activities
> are started the ref points to the new activity.
>
> That said, I agree the right thing to do here isn't obvious. But it's
> also not obvious to me why you think it's bad to unregister the
> listener in your apps onDestroy. I am skeptical battery life would be
> that badly harmed?

If GPS keeps running for no reason when the user is on the home
screen, users will complain, and rightfully so. GPS is probably the
largest battery sucker on Android.

Anyway, I guess I'll just stick with my hack, it works well (although
I hate that I have to call it in EVERY SINGLE activity the user could
potentially exit the app from). Frankly, I already thought about
putting together a library with support classes that take care of all
those things. I more and more find myself writing boilerplate code for
things that really should already be handled by Android... best
example is long running operations support (threads spawning from a
context), which is very difficult to get right on Android with all the
lifecycle states your app can be in, but that's a different story.