I used a RelativeLayout for something similar. Specify the listview in
xml using @android:id/list as the id, and then define the button with
the correct layout settings to position it below the listview (and
align it to the bottom of the screen). Giving the button the following
property: android:layout_below="@android:id/list", should help get it
into place.

Then in code, use a class which extends ListActivity, call
setContentView(R.layout.my_layout), use findViewById to find the
listView and set an adapter or something to populate it.