As far as i know, upgrading just happens when you click a link (e-mail
attachment) that is a valid and signed APK file.

As long as your new APK has the same signature as your current APK,
all should go automatically and smoothly.

What i have not 'tested', is the case that you downloaded the app from
the Android Market originally and later upgraded using another source
(Handango, SlideMe). I don't know what would happen to the 'My
Downloads' section of the 'Market' app. But, this scenario is quite
unusual.

Or the other way around: Downloaded it first from an 3rd party source
and then trying to buy it from the Android Market... this is a more
likely scenario. I'm not sure if the user needs to uninstall first.