Is there any work-around?
I'm ready to ship this port I'm working on, bar some polish, but of
course the gc hitting during runtime causes unacceptable hits to
playability.

This talk doesn't mention this bug, but he says that he hasn't had the
gc run during gameplay in five months.
http://code.google.com/events/io/sessions/WritingRealTimeGamesAndroid.html

My guess is that it's because he's using vbo's for rendering, thus
avoiding the bug.

Maybe that'll be the path I have to take as well.