Actually, it totally can take focus.  :)  The forecast widget I wrote
can be selected and "clicked" using the trackball:

http://code.google.com/p/android-sky/source/browse/trunk/Sky/res/layout/widget_med.xml

You may need to use tricks like "android:duplicateParentState" to
correctly show drawable states in children views.

--
Jeff Sharkey
jshar...@android.com