Having used a dozen GUI toolkits (from Xt to Qt, Java Awt/Swt/Swing,
Qtopia, etc) I really find it difficult to get used to Android. I
guess there should be a Java GUI (or traditional Desktop GUI) to
Android GUI transition guide :)

Suppose I have the MainView Activity class which explicitly calls
DetailedView via intent mechanism as shown next: (Is there another way
to call DetailedView?)

-Since an Activity class is instantiated via onCreate() how do I
customize it? (No constructor, only pass data through intent!)

-Is there a way to get a reference for the DetailedView instance in
MainActivity?

-Is there a way to get a reference for the MainActivity instance in
DetailedView?

-How can I pass the reference to FrontEnd to the DetailedView class?
Intent.putExtras() allows only for certain data types to pass to the
intent receiver class.

MainActivity code ...

FrontEnd fe;

Intent myIntent = new Intent(this, DetailedView.class);
...}

protected void onListItemClick(ListView l, View v, int position, long
id) {
    startActivityForResult(myIntent,..);
}