The problem seems to be an error in porting the native code from harmony to
android. In harmony there's a method that should return a string where the
roots are null separated and a second null at the end.
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/harmony/enhanced/classlib/trunk/modules/luni/src/main/native/luni/shared/file.c?view=co
(method
Java_java_io_File_rootsImpl)

<http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/harmony/enhanced/classlib/trunk/modules/luni/src/main/native/luni/shared/file.c?view=co>It
seems like the android implementation just creates such a string but fails
to process it correctly (which would get rid of the garbage at the end).
http://android.git.kernel.org/?p=platform/dalvik.git;a=blob;f=libcore/luni/src/main/native/java_io_File.c;hb=HEAD#l55

-- Urs