2009/6/17 flegare <fleg...@gmail.com>

> I auto answer myself and the poor soul who fall on this post, so far
> the only way to calibrate is by making big 8-like gesture with the
> phone. Try it it worked for me.

Yes, the digital compass in the G1 is self calibrating, but you have to make
figure 8's or similar to make it do it, this isn't something you can do in
software, the Android OS has magnetic field projections for the earth and if
the current reading falls outside a specific range either something is
artificially influencing it, such as the magnetic field in metals or
electromagnetic fields caused by electronics and cars etc, or it needs
calibration.