So, I ran into a similiar problem losing the Eclipse plugin on XP, and I
re-installed Eclipse, which solved the problem for now.  Also, to run the
project in Eclipse, you go to your SDK directory

C:\android-sdk-windows-1.5_r2\tools>

or wherever you installed it, and run emulator.exe -avd <Android Virtual
Device>

leave that up in the background, then in eclipse, you build your project
through the project menu, then run it through the run menu.  Select Android
Application if it asks.  This will automatically install it on the emulator
and run it.

That said, I don't understand how you were able to run the HelloWorld
program in the emulator, if you are unable to run the emulator...  My guess
is that you are running into not having an Android Virtual Device created
You can read about it here.
http://developer.android.com/guide/developing/tools/avd.html

In short, you can run
android create avd -n my_android1.5 -t 2

This creates an Android 1.5 Virtual Device

Then in the SDK tools directory, run
emulator -avd my_android1.5