This is mainly a design question :

My app connects to a server from where data is retrieved and presented
in a listview. Depending on user-selection different data is retreived
and filled in the list. A typical list item consists of a text string
of up to some 50 or 60 characters depending what the server returns.
Additionally, a small image icon is shown next to each string. The
server may return any number of items from 0 up to many hundred or
even thousands. It is possble to ask the server to iteratively return
subsets of the content. The images are actually links to http-
addresses, but I guess this still requires/allocates memory for the
listview by Android.

How do I design for efficiency and responsiveness, considering memory
consumption?
Are there any generic guide lines on how many list items, Strings or
Bytes to keep in memory?

On the one hand I would like to have as many items in the list as
possible - from a users perspective *all* items returned from the
server would be expected. On the other, sending many queries to the
server makes the app slower. I am not sure how to handle this
situation since I do not have a feel for what android can handle in
terms of memory.

Any ideas would be of help.