fwiw just adding layoutAnimation tag to components causes them to
correctly animate the first time they are displayed in the widget:

    <LinearLayout
        android:id="@+id/test"
        android:layout_width="fill_parent"
        android:layout_height="wrap_content"
        android:layoutAnimation="@anim/slide_left">
        <TextView
          android:layout_width="fill_parent"
          android:layout_height="wrap_content"
          android:text="Who would have thought marquees would become
cool again"/>
      </LinearLayout>

which is vaguely pleasing the first time the widget is added -- but
i'd really like to be able to force the animation to play on content /
visibility updates... (to create a kind of slide effect when content
updates so it is less disorientating if the user happens to be looking
at it).