I am not aware of any such problems -- the system clearly uses
startActivity() a -lot- for all of its normal UI, and I have never seen
spurious security exceptions.

If you want to debug it, you need to debug the system code -- this is
running in the system process, and the class is ActivityManagerService.
You'll want to attach the debugger there, and put a breakpoint in the
activity manager's public startActivity call.

There should also be a log message printed when the security exception is
generated, telling you pretty completely why it happened (though the output
can be a little hard to decipher).  It would be useful if you posted this
information.