Hi!

This code works for me: (although I initialize the alarm in the same
service which I want to wake up with the alarmmanager).

AlarmManager alarmManager = (AlarmManager) getSystemService
(ALARM_SERVICE);

Intent intent = new Intent(TrackerService.this, TrackerService.class);
intent.putExtra("action", "UPDATE");
PendingIntent updateIntent = PendingIntent.getService(this, 0, intent,
PendingIntent.FLAG_UPDATE_CURRENT);

alarmManager.setRepeating(AlarmManager.RTC_WAKEUP, new Date().getTime
() - 10,  3000000, updateIntent);

The only differences I see:
The FLAG for the PendingIntent.
The first start time for the repeating alarm (I use a bit less than
the current time to fire the alarm at once)
The context I use for creating the pending intent is the same as the
service will run in.

Try the PendingIntent with: PendingIntent.FLAG_UPDATE_CURRENT
and if that doesn't work try the alarm with a different first alarm
time, in your case eg:  System.currentTimeMillis() + 9000

Please post back the results.