I haven't heard any official stance on this, but I would imagine there
are security concerns, and then other technical hurdles on this front
(having a file browser, and then which files each activity has access
to).

There is an open issue you can comment on and or follow -
http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=2519.

It's not the same, but I have seen people complain about being able to
upload a picture or video or such, and in general you can still do
that with the Intent.ACTION_SEND and the correct mime type. This adds
your Activity to the list when someone selects "share" from the
gallery, and so on, but it's not the same as the upload button from a
browser for a web form.  The browser thing is "disabled," at least for
now.

Any more insight on this from the Android team would be great though -
set the record straight for us (will it be enabled at some point, and
what are the issues, etc).