I'm new to using Services in Android I followed a tutorial, but the
service doesn't seem to be starting.

the problem I'm having is that the onServiceConnected method never
fires so mpInterface never gets assigned.
However, I can't seem to figure out why I've looked at several
examples and they all seem to be doing exactly what I am. What am I
missing?

INFO:

I'm using SDK v1.5

I'm using Eclipse which finds no errors

showAlert is a simple message box function I use for debugging in the
application

The application basically just needs to play audio files, but needs to
keep playing even if the user is doing other things on their phone (if
there is another way to achieve this I'm all ears)

CODE:

AndroidManifest.xml:

<service android:name=".NSService" />

NSPlayer.java:

        super.onCreate(savedInstanceState);
        setContentView(R.layout.main);

        conn = new CounterServiceConnection();
        this.bindService(new Intent(NSPlayer.this,NSService.class),
conn, Context.BIND_AUTO_CREATE);

    private NSSInterface mpInterface;
    private CounterServiceConnection conn;

    class CounterServiceConnection implements ServiceConnection {
        public void onServiceConnected(ComponentName name, IBinder
service) {
                // TODO Auto-generated method stub
                mpInterface = NSSInterface.Stub.asInterface((IBinder)service);
                showAlert("Just so you know","mpInterface was
bound","Ooook!");
        }

        public void onServiceDisconnected(ComponentName name) {
                // TODO Auto-generated method stub
                mpInterface = null;
                showAlert("Just so you know","mpInterface was
UNbound","Ooook!");
        }
    };