I think it's an issue with exiting config activity before saving
widget settings. Put some logging around create/delete widget and in
the service and see how many widgets you're ended up getting while
rotating screen
        Log.d(TAG, " appWidgetId=" + appWidgetId);
You can put some logging around updates too.