I have found that if I am trying to run Eclipse with the G1 connected
(vis USB), logcat will only output info from programs running on the
phone - not when I run code on the emulator. If I disconnect the phone
and then run the emulator version, logcat provides the desired output.

I also have now discovered that if I connect the G1, the SD Card on
the emulator shows the contents of the G1 SD Card, whether I am
running code on the emulator or the phone. This was a little confusing
as I expected the AVD to control the SD Card when I run a virtual
version, not the attached 'real' phone.