It's hard to tell why this happens with your app.
Try to debug it:
Attach the Eclipse debugger to your process when it hangs and then
pause the entire process. Then open up (expand) the threads and see
where the stack-trace of each thread is currently at. This may give
you a hint about why your process/activity hangs.