Those are nice general pearls of wisdom, but I still don't know how to
fix the problem.

 I have a thread updating the physics, and the foreground image will
change accordingly. I also have another thread drawing onto the
surfaceview. At the moment it seems highly inefficient as I'm drawing
in addition the the updated foreground, the same constant background
on to the canvas every step of the animation. I cannot put the
background image into another view because either it will block the
surfaceview or be blocked by it.

Do I have to live with this, or there's a better way?
Thanks