I could not find a straightforward way to do that, I use reflection
APIs to get rid of it.

TabWidget tw = getTabWidget();

Field mBottomLeftStrip;
                Field mBottomRightStrip;
                try {
                    mBottomLeftStrip = tw.getClass().getDeclaredField
("mBottomLeftStrip");
                    mBottomRightStrip = tw.getClass().getDeclaredField
("mBottomRightStrip");

                    if(!mBottomLeftStrip.isAccessible()) {
                        mBottomLeftStrip.setAccessible(true);
                    }
                    if(!mBottomRightStrip.isAccessible()){
                        mBottomRightStrip.setAccessible(true);
                    }
                    mBottomLeftStrip.set(tw, getResources().getDrawable
(R.drawable.transparent_background));
                    mBottomRightStrip.set(tw, getResources().getDrawable
(R.drawable.transparent_background));
                } catch (Exception e) {
                    e.printStackTrace();
                }