I don't know what you are trying to do, but if it's just simple layout
stuff you may be making life more difficult for yourself than
necessary. Try one of these things instead:

a: use a textView and set it's background property (either to a color
#argb or to a drawable). This has limitations, but for a single text
item it should work fine.  Depending on what you want, you can tweak
the layout_width/layout_height parameters to get pretty close. An .xml
example:

<TextView
    android:id = "@+id/text1"
    android:background = "@+drawable/filename"
    android:layout_width="wrap_content"
    android:layout_height="wrap_content"
    android:text="@string/hello"
    android:textSize = "12pt"
    android:textStyle= "bold"
    android:textColor= "#001"
/>

b: use a layout(relativeLayout, etc) and set it's background/size then
put the textView or anything else you want into it. You could also
leave the background blank and put the drawable into the layout
directly.

<RelativeLayout xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/
android"
    android:id = "@+id/container1"
    android:background = "@+drawable/image"
    android:layout_width="wrap_content"
    android:layout_height="wrap_content"
    android:layout_marginTop="20dip"
    android:layout_marginLeft="20dip"

    <TextView
        android:id = "@+id/text1"
        android:text="@string/hello"
        android:layout_width="wrap_content"
        android:layout_height="wrap_content"
        android:layout_centerHorizontal="true"
        android:layout_centerVertical="true"
    />
</RelativeLayout>

There is an awful lot of flexibility, so without knowing what you are
after ... it's hard to say. Probably check the beginners forum at:
http://groups.google.com/group/android-beginners and there will be a
lot more information on this sort of thing.

Hope that helps.