How does it fail? I wrote some code that creates a directory on the
sdcard, and writes files to that directory. I can't remember that I
had any problems at all.

.. I'm however root on the phone, but I hope that that doesn't matter.

                File directory = new File("/sdcard/mydir");
                if (!directory.exists()) {
                        directory.mkdirs();
                }
                FileOutputStream out = new FileOutputStream(directory.getPath()
+ "/
filename.txt");
                //Write to out