Hi Johan,

I was able to make the device show in fastboot mode in windows, doing
the same as above, adding extra device IDs into the usb driver INF
file - it's just that fastboot mode has YET ANOTHER device ID, so when
the device is in fastboot mode windows shows you the new hardware
wizard, you need to very quickly get the wizard to install the driver
with the modified INF file, then probably wait for your phone to boot
up, shut it down again, and turn it on in fastboot mode again.

The extra lines in the INF file are as follows:

; Around line 55, after the existing Sansung entries:
%USB\VID_18D1&PID_D00D.DeviceDescRelease%=androidusb.Dev, USB
\VID_18D1&PID_D00D
; Around line 129, after the other existing Samsung entries:
USB\VID_18D1&PID_D00D.DeviceDescRelease="SAMSUNG GALAXY Fast Booter"

When you do all this, the strange thing is that "fastboot devices"
shows the device as a question mark. To "prove" that it's working you
need to (for example) run "fastboot getvar version", which will
accurately respond "0.5" and thereby confirm the device is connected.

With that I was able to root the device with the instructions provided
at android.hdblog.it:
http://forum.hdblog.it/showthread.php?t=3926

And do a backup after providing the further instructions to get
nandroid going in recovery mode:
http://forum.hdblog.it/showthread.php?t=3995

But I must admit I haven't yet had the guts to try restoring a
nandroid backup...

Good luck!
Tao