That is not what I am seeing.

I have two email applications which handle
the same intent ie in their manifest files I have
<intent-filter>
    <action android:name="com.xxxx.compose'/>
    <category android:name="android.intent.category.DEFAULT/>
 </intent-filter>
in my calling app,
Intent intent = new Intent();
intent.setAction("com.xxxx.compose");
when I call List<ResolveInfo> l =queryIntentActivities(intent,
PackageManager.MATCH_DEFAULT_ONLY);
l.size() always returns two -irrespective of chosing a default when
the intent resolver dialog is shown.
And the values in the resolveinfo list points to my email
applications.

I want to know programatically, if a default has been chosen by the
user.