I can see where it could be to the disadvantage of us 3rd party
developers if those with bigger pockets could buy their apps multiple
times with the goal of pushing up it's ratings.  But it would be nice
to be able to buy it once just to have that last confirmation that
everything was good.

Regardless, I wish this would be confirmed by the Google folks and was
a WELL documented "feature", like right there on the Developer Console
page, or at least in a FAQ somewhere.