Thanks Roman,

That's pretty much what I came up with too.
To my knowledge an application is a single APK, so if I wanted to have
two APK's installed I'd have to get the user to download both, and run
through the install process for each.
Installing apps outside of the Market isn't exactly a picnic for the
user - especially if it's their first time...

1. Download the APK via a link
2. Try to "open" it - phone complains that "Install from unknown
sources is not on"
3. Go ahead and enable that
4. Now, where did that download go?  What do you mean I have to get
back to the browser and re-download the file (or know how to get into
the "Downloads" screen in the browser)?
5. Lets try that install again
6. And lets not forget the wonderful "Force Close" that the installer
presents to the user if they stupidly rotate their phone at any time
between tapping "Install" and getting back to the browser (
http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=2707 )
7. Rinse and repeat for the second APK.

My slight tweak on the above is to have APK #1 (the first installed)
do nothing more than:

1. Write the "vendor specific" details to a place that the "real" app
can use
2. Start a "market:" intent - so all the user needs to do is tap the
"Install" button from the market.

I have a feeling that going through all the steps to download and
install from a non-market source will prove a disincentive for a good
number of potential users.

Doug