I have an issue with a service that makes the UI freeze for a couple
of seconds. My app does the following:

The user starts a file upload. The Activity starts or binds to a
Service passing it the filename of the data. The Service then uploads
the file. After initiating the upload by pressing a button, the UI is
responsive for about a second. Then it freezes, and it becomes
responsive again soon as the service has finished uploading the file,
which you see in the UI because the service sends a notification.
I have replaced the upload by some dummy processing, with no effect,
the UI still freezes. I have replaced the aidl call to the service by
an empty call, with no effect.
The thing is annoying mostly because after three seconds a popup
appears saying the app doesn't respond. Pressing "wait" makes the app
continue normally. I decided to display a progress bar during the
upload, but that doesn't help either, I still get the error prompt.

My question is, can a service take so much resources that the UI
freezes for a couple of seconds? Is there a way of giving the service
a lower priority?