Are you on Linux? You could try this.. From a terminal:

    killall -STOP emulator

To pause it while not in use, and:

    killall -CONT emulator

To unpause it. Note doing this might screw up the emulator's idea of
the current time, but I've used this lots of times in the past with
other Qemu based emulators and it worked fine.

David

--
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
  — Philip K. Dick