> This site is using the same infrastructure as the Android Market and
> shares
> a unified namespace, primarily to avoid "squatting" issues.  That is, we
> want to make sure that if a developer submits an app via ADC2 that an evil
> third party could not come along and put an app with the same package up
> on
> the Market, before the legitimate developer could do so.  This would be
> more
> of an issue for users than the developer, but it's a case we wanted to
> avoid.
> Thus, we are using a unified namespace with the Market.  While this does
> mean a package rename in the future (and means a package rename today if
> you
> want to submit an app published on Market after 1 August for ADC2), we
> judged the inconvenience to be worth it to prevent that particular issue.

Thanks!

Though, um, you didn't really address what I was asking. I probably asked
the question poorly, so let me try again:

If ADC2 apps will be used by people outside of ADC2 judging, then (IMHO)
most ADC2 participants will need to support two editions of the same app
indefinitely, or risk losing one user base (Market) or the other (ADC2).
After all, AFAIK, there is no way to change an app's package name, or to
merge two package names into one in terms of upgrade streams, so once
forked, always forked...until the developer decides to drop updates for
one user base or the other.

If, however, ADC2 apps will not be used outside of the automated judging
process (or by human judges in Round Two, who hopefully will be savvy
enough to get past this issue), then the 2nd package name will not be an
issue, since that app will never be updated, anyway.

So...will ADC2 apps be used by people outside of ADC2 judging?

Thanks!

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)
http://commonsware.com