> Andriod doesn't support many profiles.  (ummm 1, the headset profile)
> I can't listen to music via bluetooth in my car anymore.

It supports the Headset profile and the Stereo bluetooth profile.  I
listen to music and podcasts in my car via bluetooth every day.

> The new version of windows mobile has PAN and supports tethering out
> of the box.

I think the lack of tethering support has to do with the fact that the
devices are locked to T-Mobile and tethering violates their terms of
use.

> For GOD sakes, I can't even get a directory listing via USB
> connection.  How does anyone load their own videos and music on this
> device?

You can.  You can access the SD card in your phone via USB and copy
music, videos or anything else to it.  It seems that your real problem
is that you need to RTFM.