Ok, thanks for the reply Mark.

It seems the documentation doesn't state either way whether anything
will or will not continue to function while in standby.  I wonder if
there's anyone from the Android team that could let me know the
official stance on this?

There's also the situation with the Hero, which won't continue with
these OnSensorChanged() messages even when a WakeLock is in place.