Ok this is very very odd.  My Activity has two list:

a) ListView with a SimpleCursorAdapter connected to a regular cursor
b) A AutoCompleteEditText with a custom CursorAdapter connected to
Contacts.Phones cursor.

On list b, I then also connect a FilterQueryProvider, and then the
content of list a is no longer displayed.  WTF???

I fooled around with this for a while and everything seems to be
working, queries on both cursors a getting the right values, etc.
And, seriously, only when uncommenting the line of code that sets the
FilterQueryProvider does the *other* list quit displaying any content.

I triple checked that I hadn't accidentally used a variable from one
list when working with the other list.  Everything looks fine.  The
filtered AutoCompleteEditText actually works perfectly in either case.

Also, I was previously using a SimpleCursorAdapter for both lists and
everything worked perfectly.  I only switched to my own custom cursor
adapter because I need to munge some text as it comes out of the DB
and I don't see that SimpleCursorAdapter allows me to do that.  The
line cursor.setFilterQueryProvider(newFilterQueryProvider... is
*exactly that same in both versions!  Is there some reuse of cursors
under the hood that I'm not aware of that could be causing this
problem??

The other thing I noticed is that when I change screen orientation,
the correct contents of the list do appear briefly on the screen
before disappearning.

Anyone??  I can post actual code if needed.

Thanks in advance for any help.