Hi Maxwell

The Stk Icon will be removed every time the device boots, see packages/
apps/Stk/src/com/android/stk/BootCompletedReceiver.java,
StkAppService.java and StkAppInstaller.java.

You can start the Stk directly (works with HTC Hero):

Intent intent = new Intent();
intent.addFlags(Intent.FLAG_ACTIVITY_NEW_TASK);
intent.addCategory(Intent.CATEGORY_LAUNCHER);
intent.setAction(Intent.ACTION_MAIN);
intent.setComponent(new ComponentName("com.android.stk",
    "com.android.stk.StkLauncherActivity"));
startActivity(intent);

Now the Stk Icon is visible in the main menu.

Regards,
hilti