Did you try putExtra(Intent.EXTRA_STREAM, uri) ?

// the following code snippet will attach a file from a content
resolver and send it via email/mms.

Intent sendIntent = new Intent(Intent.ACTION_SEND);
sendIntent.setType("...");
sendIntent.putExtra(Intent.EXTRA_STREAM, uri); // attachment
sendIntent.putExtra(Intent.EXTRA_SUBJECT, getResources().getText
(R.string.subject));
startActivityForResult(Intent.createChooser(sendIntent, getResources
().getText(R.string.app_name)), ACTIVITY_SEND);

Balwinder Kaur
Open Source Development Center
·T· · ·Mobile· stick together

The views, opinions and statements in this email are those of the
author solely in their individual capacity, and do not necessarily
represent those of T-Mobile USA, Inc.