The text view is simpler, and 100x more efficient than using a web view.
 Unless you need the complicated markup of a web view, it is really best to
use a text view.
You can look at the Linkify code as an example of how to create your own
links:

http://android.git.kernel.org/?p=platform/frameworks/base.git;a=blob;f=core/java/android/text/util/Linkify.java<http://android.git.kernel.org/?p=platform/frameworks/base.git;a=blob;f=core/java/android/text/util/Linkify.java;h=d61e888e18158fa0242912925162f8ea03ae0ce5;hb=HEAD>

On Sun, Sep 6, 2009 at 3:34 PM, Ken H <hunt1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Jason,
>
> It took a little work and reading but you were right. The trick was
> replacing the markup tags like <ahref="LINKNAME"> with &lt;a
> href=&quot;LINKNAME&quot;&gt;. That and using the setWebViewClient
> WebView method.
>
> I tried using TextView's like some guys suggested, but that was
> getting way too complex (more so when you compare it to using this
> WebView widget).
>
> Thanks again!
>
> Ken
>
> On Sep 4, 3:32 pm, Jason Proctor <jason.android.li...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > hey Ken,
> >
> > WebViews can do anything TextViews can, you just have to format the
> > contents as legal HTML to get the right things to happen. depending
> > on the features you want, this might be as easy as wrapping
> > complication is that IIRC webviews won't auto-detect links in regular
> > text, they need to be marked up with anchor tags. if your links are
> > embedded then this might be work for you.
> >
> > however, once you get this sorted out, then you can register a
> > WebViewClient with your WebView, whose shouldOverrideUrlLoading()
> > will get called when someone clicks on a link. you can then decide
> > what to do, and whether the WebView sees the link after you do.
> >
> > this mechanism enables all kinds of crazy stuff to happen. i use it
> > to preprocess HTML before the WebView sees it, or hand links off to
> > Android activities for native handling, etc. most anything can be
> > done.
> >
> > it's pretty straightforward.
> >
> > hth
> >

> > >Jason,
> >
> > >Thanks for the response. This is turning into a *thing* now. I'm
> > >starting to think it can't be done or there is a serious bug in
> > >Android that won't let it work.
> >
> > >But my question now is, can I use a webview like a textview? I have a
> > >textview I use as a 'title bar' header, and another textview below
> > >scrolls in a scrollview. I assume I can do things like that. But what
> > >about building the contents? I use a textview because I have tons of
> > >data in a string-array that I insert in the textview. Is there some
> > >site that is a good primer on building an html page in a webview on
> > >the fly in android?
> >
> > >Ken

> > >  > check out WebViewClient.shouldOverrideUrlLoading().

> large
> doc

> > --
> > jason.vp.engineering.particle