Hi,
I have determined (or so I hope) how to add a new shared library to
the external part of Android image:
1. Add a directory called "foobar", under <root>/external
2. In that folder put my source files
3. Create Android.mk file
4. Update the file <root>/build/core/prelink-linux-arm.map and add my
library there, in the last section (titled "libraries for specific
apps..."), choosing a free memory area
5. Use the 'mm' or 'mmm' shell functions to build the library.

The output is (between dashed lines):
--------------------------
make: Entering directory `/media/disk-1/development/Donut/donut'
target thumb C: libfoobar <= external/foobar/src/foobar_01.c
target thumb C: libfoobar <= external/foobar/src/foobar_02.c
target SharedLib: libfoobar (out/target/product/generic/obj/
SHARED_LIBRARIES/libfoobar_intermediates/LINKED/libfoobar.so)
target Prelink: libfoobar (out/target/product/generic/symbols/system/
lib/libfoobar/libfoobar.so)
target Strip: libfoobar (out/target/product/generic/obj/lib/
libfoobar.so)
Install: out/target/product/generic/system/lib/libfoobar.so
make: Leaving directory `/media/disk-1/development/Donut/donut'
--------------------------

So far, so good.

My questions are:
1. Is the process above correct? If not, where did I go wrong?
2. Is this process documented and if so, where?
3. How do I prevent the library from being stripped?
4. Alternatively, can I tell the make process to preserve certain
symbols and strip all others?
5. If I want the foobar library to be built from objects and
libraries, located elsewhere, without any C compilations, how do I do
it by tweaking the Android.mk file?

Thanks,
Amir