> Right - so if for my existing market apps I'm happy to stick with the
> 1.5SDK (which I am) and if I can code/design the apps to cope with the
> different screens (which I can), then I can stick with 1.5 and ignore
> the new manifest elements?

That I am not sure about, see below.

> I was concerned that if I do this the framework on (e.g.) a WVGA
> device will know that my app is 'old', and will therefore start
> automatically scaling up my assets. Or, that for QVGA devices the
> market might decide that my 1.5SDK app can't possibly support the
> screen and it won't even be offered for download.

I misunderstood your original question. I thought you were wondering how
to support multiple screen sizes without having multiple APKs on the
market. You should be able to support as many screen sizes as you want
with a single APK, via resource sets. This *may* need to be supplemented
with new 1.6-specific manifest entries -- that part is unclear to me at
this time.

If you have an existing application, 1.5r3, with no layouts specifically
for WVGA/QVGA, WVGA and QVGA devices may make autonomous decisions of how
to interpret the layout rules you have provided (which presumably were
written for HVGA). Up until recently, I'd've said that it would just try
to use the assets as-is and interpret the layout rules as written. So,
WVGA might work just fine "out of the box" if you used RelativeLayout and
such (versus, say, AbsoluteLayout), but QVGA might look awful because your
assets were too big.

Some of the recent comments on this thread suggest that the core Android
team has added more sophisticated smarts than that, perhaps to try to
allow more applications to run acceptably without modification, and
perhaps also to deal with screen density and such. The details of how all
that works has not been discussed much beyond this thread, and presumably
is the meat of Ms. Hackborn's upcoming blog post.

Like you, I'm awaiting more details.

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)
http://commonsware.com