All you need to do is to set different request codes in your pending
intent parameters to avoid this situation:
"The setting of this new alarm, and the throwing out of the existing
alarm is what I want to avoid."

A correction to one line of code would let you use the alarm manager
(sorry if my earlier post was unclear).  You might further improve by
using a Handler, thread or Async Task to collect your second sample
after a 15s sleep and then trigger a repeating alarm every ten minutes
thereafter.  To be clear, a phone reboot will cancel the repeating
alarm but you can catch the event and restart.

Good luck!